Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Hindu Wedding

About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I answered a Craigslist AD looking for a photography assistant for an upcoming wedding. I shot off an email and about 10 minutes later, the photographer called me. Omar is fabulous! He's not afraid to teach a newbie like me and even let me borrow some of his equipment, as I am sadly under-equipped for a wedding situation.

Anyway, he gave me the job and the wedding was last night. The colors were amazing and the Priest took the time to explain most of the rituals before they took place {which was incredible to me}. Other than that....let's just say, it was not what I expected. I did a lot of reading up to prepare myself for the rituals and procedures of Hindu weddings. THIS was nothing like what I read. First off, the temple is under going renovations. Dirty concrete floors, large trash barrels sitting around, ALL metal folding chairs, yellow CAUTION tape blocking some door ways, think 'big warehouse'. You get the idea.

And then the whole 3 HOUR ceremony was held under an indoor canopy. Draped in curtains, you could hardly even get a picture of the bride or groom under that tent with all the drapes, the big banana TREE and bamboo plant right smack in front of the bride and groom. And not to mention that everyone and their brother wandering around the whole time, walking right up into the altar to take their own pictures and VIDEO! It was very difficult for this novice to even get a good shot. So with a few well-placed vignettes and watermarks, here are a few pictures I did manage to salvage. Pay no attention to the folding chairs and what not. :)

I do want to add that over all this was a GREAT experience for me. The people were super nice and the ceremony was beautiful. And Omar taught me a lot of things you can only learn from getting out there and DOING it.

Some of the guests


The Bride and Groom


Look closely at her hands and you can see the Henna work. It was beautiful!











The brides Mom {in Yellow} doing a final touch


The band

9 comments:

Cindi Koceich said...

I think you did a great job...especially considering the circumstances!! I bet it was very interesting!! Beautiful colors

Becky said...

I never would have guessed the issues you had. I love shots from weddings like this. There's so much color and detail. I think you did a great job capturing it.

Reds said...

Love all the colors!! The bride is so beautiful!! Think you captured some beautiful memories!

Jackie's Shot said...

Wonderful shots and just beautiful colors in the clothing. Looks like a wonderful experience. ~Jackie

pat said...

oh my--what a unique experience! Lucky you---

Jess said...

Wow, what a neat thing to be able to witness! The culture, details, and colors always fascinate me. I think you did an amazing job under the circumstances!

Angela2932 said...

How interesting! You got some great details and fantastic color. It would be really, really interesting if you get a chance to post more photos and tell us about some of the rituals.

Vanessa said...

How beautiful! I have always wanted to do henna.

bcgal00 Rae said...

wow...what fun that must have been. You got some great shots! The color and detail is fabulous!